Bumper damage is one of the most common (and frustrating) results of a collision. If you’ve been in a minor accident, it can be difficult to determine if your bumper can be repaired or if you should replace it altogether.
We’ve broken down the basics of bumpers to help you decide whether bumper repair or replacement is right for your vehicle.
Know The Role of Your Bumper
As the name implies, your bumper is there to absorb the shock from a collision. In the United States, bumpers must be able to absorb the impact from a five-mile-per-hour impact without damaging the interior or body of the vehicle.
While the materials used in bumpers vary from plastics to metals, they all contain energy-absorbing materials. Their role in protecting you and your passengers is why properly repairing or replacing a damaged bumper is crucial.
Damage That Can Be Fixed With Bumper Repair
- Scrapes and scratches can be repaired by sanding, filling and restoring the area. Because they’re at the very surface of your exterior, scratches don’t require bumper replacement – a simple scratch and paint repair will do!
- Shallow dents and dings are also repairable. A dent repair service is all you’ll need to erase the damage and get back on the road.
- Minor cracks in your bumper can almost always be repaired. However, make sure to work with a qualified autobody repair shop – bigger cracks are sometimes more cost-effective to replace than they are to repair.
Damage That Requires Bumper Replacement
- Broken/missing hooks and fasteners will require you to replace your bumper. When these components are compromised, your bumper won’t properly protect you from an impact. Broken hooks or fasteners can also cause your bumper to fall off entirely, as it isn’t properly secured to the vehicle.
- Damage that extends beyond your bumper will often require you to replace the bumper. If your car body has also been impacted by a collision, that means the vehicle frame could also be compromised. Driving with a damaged frame is highly unsafe, so you’ll want to take your car to the mechanic for this type of damage.
- Extensive or deeper dents can impact the effectiveness of your bumper, which is why you might need to have it replaced.
At Bumper Buddies, we’re happy to provide you with a complimentary assessment and quote for your autobody damage. Our mobile dent and bumper repair service is the fastest, most cost-effective way to repair minor vehicle damage. We’ll erase the evidence of unsightly dents, dings and scrapes and get you back behind the wheel in just a few hours. Visit us online or call (888) 711-5074 to book an appointment today!